Friday 26 February 2010

E-newsletter content ideas that work

In my previous blog post I discussed some practical ideas for sending out e-newsletters. Here are some ideas for creating compelling content.

Here’s the premise of my suspicion that any marketer who works in a business is perfectly capable of writing an endless stream of interesting and engaging newsletter (or blog) articles:

“I have never come across anybody who new enough about a particular industry or topic to start a business in it, who didn’t also have a nearly endless supply of content to choose from” (Michael Katz – E-Newsletters That Work)

So, you work in a company within an industry that you happen to know quite a lot about – that’s what you do for 35 or more hours every week. Let’s see what you already have inside your head that you could write about.

Now I’m a teacher. I’m not going to give you the answers (at least not this week) but in true active learning methodology, I’m going to facilitate you to find them yourself. So sharpen your pencil and get ready for a one person brainstorming session.

Write a list of all the questions you are asked about your business on a regular basis:

How do I…?

Should I…?

What do you think about…?

How do I know if…?

Is it worth spending money on…?

Do you know where…?

What would you recommend for…?

What do you predict will happen to…?

Can I have an expert opinion on…?

What’s happening with…?

How did you manage to achieve….?

You should now have a long list of ideas for your newsletter. These aren’t boring company profiles, new product reviews, interviews with the CEO. They answer the genuine questions that your customers and others in your industry are interested in hearing the answers to.

You may not have all the answers, but I bet you know someone who does.

What are you waiting for?

And if you are still thinking, here are the top 75 entries from my blog from 2009. It’s a niche market but you should find some concepts to inspire you.


Marie Page runs an international e-business selling instructional DVDs teaching contemporary musical instruments. She blogs at http://musicademy.com/blog

No comments:

Post a Comment